Postdoctoral Research Associate in Emerging Architectures for HPC
Email: mittals at ornl dot gov
1 Bethel Valley Road
Building 5100, Room 229, MS-6173
Oak Ridge, TN, USA 37831-6173
Overall area: Computer architecture (CPU, GPU and CPU-GPU heterogeneous systems), High-performance computing
Specific research interests: architectural simulation, energy-efficient main memory and cache design, sustainable computing, low-power computing, cache reconfiguration.
Memory technologies: SRAM, non-volatile memory (NVM) devices (STT-RAM, PCM, ReRAM), DRAM memory and eDRAM cache
Research objectives: Improving performance and energy of cache and memory systems. Improving lifetime of NVM devices.
1. Sparsh Mittal, Jeffrey S Vetter (2014) A Survey of Methods for Analyzing and Improving GPU Energy Efficiency, in ACM Computing Surveys (impact factor 4.04).
2. Sparsh Mittal, Yanan Cao, Zhao Zhang (2013), MASTER: A Multicore Cache Energy Saving Technique Using Dynamic Cache Reconfiguration, IEEE Transactions on VLSI Systems (impact factor 1.14)
3. Sparsh Mittal, Jeffrey S Vetter and Dong Li (2014) A Survey Of Architectural Approaches for Managing Embedded DRAM and Non-volatile On-chip Caches, IEEE TPDS (impact factor 2.17)
4. Sparsh Mittal, Zhao Zhang, Jeffrey Vetter (2013) FlexiWay: A Cache Energy Saving Technique Using Fine-grained Cache Reconfiguration In: IEEE ICCD (acceptance rate ~ 25%)
5. Sparsh Mittal, Jeffrey S Vetter, Dong Li (2014) Improving energy efficiency of Embedded DRAM Caches for High-end Computing Systems, In ACM HPDC (acceptance rate ~ 16%).
6. Li Yu, Dong Li, Sparsh Mittal, Jeffrey S Vetter (2014) Quantitatively Modeling Application Resiliency with the Data Vulnerability Factor In: International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage, and Analysis (SC) (acceptance rate 21%). Best Student Paper Candidate
See http://publicationslist.org/sparsh0mittal for full publication list and download links.
PhD from Iowa State University (ISU), Ames, Iowa, USA (2008-2013).
BTech from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Roorkee, Uttarakhand, India (2004-2008).
Awards and Honors
1. ECpE fellowship from Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, Iowa State University, USA of $2500 in 2008.
2. Peer Research Award from Iowa State University, USA of $200 in 2013.
3. Topper in Electronics batch of year 2008 in ECE department at IIT Roorkee and received Institute Silver Medal for this.
4. Institute Silver Medal for Best B.Tech project award in Electronics and Computer Engineering (ECE) Department at IIT Roorkee.
5. Sumer Chand Jain Scholarship of INR 10,000 from IIT Roorkee.
6. Best Student Award from High School (named MHS, Jaipur, Rajasthan, India) in 2004.
1. ACM Computing Surveys
2. IEEE Intelligent Systems
3. IEEE ISVLSI
4. Springer book High Performance Computing in Power and Energy Systems.
Matthew (Matt) Poremba, Penn State University, USA, 06/2014-09/2014
Programming Languages/tools: C, C++, CUDA, Go (from Google), X10 (from IBM), Matlab, Simulink, System Generator (Xilinx), python, LaTeX, Gnuplot.
Architectural Simulators: Simplescalar, GEMS, Sniper, MARSS.