Jeffrey S. Vetter
Jeffrey S. Vetter, Ph.D., is a Distinguished R&D Staff Member, and the founding group leader of the Future Technologies Group in the Computer Science and Mathematics Division of Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Vetter also holds joint appointments at the Computational Science and Engineering School of the Georgia Institute of Technology, and at the Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department of the University of Tennessee-Knoxville. From 2009 through 2015, Vetter was the Principal Investigator of the NSF Track 2D Experimental Computing XSEDE Facility, named Keeneland, for large scale heterogeneous computing using graphics processors, and the Director of the NVIDIA CUDA Center of Excellence.
Vetter earned his Ph.D. in Computer Science from the Georgia Institute of Technology. He joined ORNL in 2003, after stints as a computer scientist and project leader at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, and postdoctoral researcher at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. The coherent thread through his research is developing rich architectures and software systems that solve important, real-world high performance computing problems. In particular, he has been investigating the effectiveness of next-generation architectures, such as graphics processors, massively multithreaded processors, non-volatile memory systems, heterogeneous multicore processors, and field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs), for key applications. His recent books, entitled "Contemporary High Performance Computing: From Petascale toward Exascale (Vols. 1 and 2)," survey the international landscape of HPC.
Vetter is a Senior Member of the IEEE, and a Distinguished Scientist Member of the ACM. Vetter, as part of an interdisciplinary team from Georgia Tech, NYU, and ORNL, was awarded the Gordon Bell Prize in 2010. Also, his work has won awards at major conferences: Best Paper Awards at the International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS) and EuroPar, Best Student Paper Finalist at SC14, and Best Presentation at EASC 2015.
Research Projects and Software
- Check our FT Group Research Projects and Software pages, listed on our group front page for specific software packages, such as SHOC and mpiP.
Recent Publications and Presentations
- See my Google Scholar page, or our Future Tech Publications page for group publications.
- My new book titled " Contemporary High Performance Computing: From Petascale toward Exascale (Vols. 1 and 2) ."
- Selected Recent Presentations
- Invited Talk, "Exploring Emerging Memory Technologies in Extreme Scale High Performance Computing", Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH, Jülich Supercomputing Centre (JSC), 2016.
- Invited Talk, "Managing the Emerging Complexity Wall of Extreme Scale High Performance Computing", University of Tennessee, Knoxville, 2016.
- "Quantitatively Modeling Application Resilience with the Data Vulnerability Factor,"
- "Exploring Emerging Technologies in the HPC Co-Design Space."
- Keynote, FRCRC High Performance Computing Symposium 2013, Laramie, WY.
- Invited talk, Swiss National Supercomputing Center, Lugano, 2013.
- Invited talk, International Conference on Parallel Processing and Applied Mathematics, Warsaw, 2013.
- Invited talk, NVIDIA GPU Technology Theatre @ SC13, Denver, 2013.
- Invited talk, Tokyo Institute of Technology Exhibit @ SC13, Denver, 2013.
- Invited talk, Department of Energy Exhibit @ SC13, Denver, 2013.
- Invited talk, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Tokyo, 2014.
- Invited talk, American Physical Society (APS) March Meeting, Denver, 2014.
- Invited talk, Qatar Computing Research Institute, Doha, 2014.
- Keynote talk, AsHES Workshop, with IPDPS, Phoenix, 2014.
- Invited talk, IBM TJ Watson Research Center, Yorktown, NY, 2014.
- Keynote talk, International Conference on Energy-Aware High Performance Computing, Dresden, 2014.
- Invited talk, Clusters, Clouds, and Data for Scientific Computing (CCDSC), Lyon, 2014.
- Invited talk, Institute of Computational Science, Universita della Svizzera italina, Lugano, 2014.
- Keynote talk, Workshop on Accelerator Programming using Directives (WACCPD), New Orleans, 2014.
- Invited talk, JST/CREST International Symposium on Post Petascale System Software, Kobe, 2014.
- Contributed talk, Exascale Application and Software Conference, Edinburgh, 2015. (Best Presentation Award)
- Invited talk, 2nd International HPC Forum, Tianjin, 2015.
- Invited talk, ISC Workshop on Performance Modeling: Methods and Applications, Frankfurt, 2015.
- Keynote talk, 11th International Conference on Parallel Processing and Applications, Krakow, 2015.
- Invited talk, Barcelona Supercomputing Center, Barcelona, 2015.
- Invited talk, SPPEXA Symposium, Munich, 2016.
- Invited talk, "Automated Exploration of the HPC Codesign Space with Aspen." 1st International Workshop on Strategic Development of High Performance Computers, Tsukuba, 2013.
- Invited talk, "Automated Exploration of the HPC Co-design Space." International HPC Forum, 2013. Changsha, Hunan province, China. (Tianhe-2 was announced at this forum. See PDF report.)
Recent Professional Activities
- Associate Editor for ACM Journal on Emerging Technologies in Computing (JETC), 2016-present
- SC16, Tech Papers
- PMMA16 (2nd International Workshop on Performance Modeling: Methods and Applications)
- ACM ICS 2016
- ISC 2016
- SC Steering Committee
- SC15, Technical Program Chair ( SC15 Breaks Exhibits and Attendance Records While in Austin )
- ASPLOS 2015
- CCGrid 2015
- SC14, Technical Program Deputy Chair
- DOE ASCAC Workforce Subcommittee
- ICS 2014
- MTAAP 2014
- PPOPP 2014
- SC13 : Panels, Gordon Bell
- HiPC 2013
- MSPC 2013
- SC12, Tech Papers Co-chair
- InPar 2012
- ICS 2012
- ISC, Tutorials
- PPOPP 2012
- SciDAC 2011, Organizing Committee
- SC11, Tutorials
- First International Workshop on Characterizing Applications for Heterogeneous Exascale Systems
- ACM SIGPLAN Workshop on Memory Systems Performance and Correctness (MSPC), General Chair
- ACM Workshop on Emerging Applications and Many-Core Architectures (EAMA), Organizing Committee
- ACM Workshop on General Purpose Processing on Graphics Processing Units
- MTAAP 2011, Co-chair
- SC 2010: The International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, and Storage, Tech Papers
- IPDPS 2010, Vice chair for applications
- MTAAP 2010, Co-chair
- Cross-cutting Technologies for Computing at the Exascale Workshop, Programming Models Theme Leader
- International Exascale Software Project
# # #