Jeffrey S. Vetter
Jeffrey S. Vetter, Ph.D., has a
joint appointment between Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) and the Georgia
Institute of Technology (GT). At ORNL, Vetter is a Distinguished R&D Staff
Member, and the founding group leader of the Future
Technologies Group in the Computer Science and Mathematics Division. At
GT, Vetter is a Joint Professor in the Computational
Science and Engineering School of the College of Computing, the
Principal Investigator for the NSF Track 2D Experimental Computing XSEDE
Facility, named Keeneland, for large scale heterogeneous computing using graphics
processors, and the Director of the NVIDIA CUDA
Center of Excellence.
Vetter earned his Ph.D. in Computer Science from the Georgia Institute of Technology. He
joined ORNL in 2003, after stints as a computer scientist and project leader at
Lawrence Livermore National
Laboratory, and postdoctoral researcher at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
The coherent thread through his research is developing rich architectures and
software systems that solve important, real-world high performance computing
problems. Currently, Vetter's research addresses problems in analyzing new
architectures for HPC using measurement, modeling, and simulation. In
particular, he has been investigating the effectiveness of next-generation
architectures, such as graphics processors, massively multithreaded processors,
non-volatile memory systems, heterogeneous multicore processors, and
field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs), for key applications. His recent books,
entitled "Contemporary High Performance Computing: From Petascale toward
Exascale (Vols. 1 and 2)," survey the international landscape of HPC.
Vetter is a Senior Member of the IEEE, and a Distinguished
Scientist Member of the ACM.
Vetter, as part of an interdisciplinary team from Georgia Tech, NYU,
and ORNL, was awarded
Bell Prize in 2010.
Also, his work has won awards at major conferences: Best Paper
Awards at the International Parallel and Distributed Processing
Symposium (IPDPS) and EuroPar, Best Student Paper Finalist at
SC14, and Best Presentation at EASC 2015.
Recent Publications and Presentations
- See my Google
Scholar page, or our Future
Tech Publications page for group publications.
- My new book titled "Contemporary High Performance
Computing: From Petascale toward Exascale (Vols. 1 and 2)."
- Selected Recent Presentations
- "Exploring Emerging Technologies in the HPC
- Keynote, FRCRC
High Performance Computing Symposium 2013, Laramie, WY.
- Invited talk, Swiss
National Supercomputing Center, Lugano, 2013.
- Invited talk, International
Conference on Parallel Processing and Applied Mathematics,
- Invited talk, NVIDIA GPU Technology Theatre @ SC13,
- Invited talk, Tokyo Institute of Technology Exhibit @
SC13, Denver, 2013.
- Invited talk, Department of Energy Exhibit @ SC13,
- Invited talk, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Tokyo, 2014.
- Invited talk, American
Physical Society (APS) March Meeting, Denver, 2014.
- Invited talk, Qatar Computing Research Institute, Doha, 2014.
- Keynote talk,
AsHES Workshop, with IPDPS, Phoenix, 2014.
- Invited talk, IBM TJ Watson Research Center, Yorktown, NY, 2014.
- Keynote talk, International Conference on Energy-Aware High Performance Computing, Dresden, 2014.
- Invited talk,
Clusters, Clouds, and Data for Scientific Computing (CCDSC)
, Lyon, 2014.
- Invited talk, Institute of Computational Science, Universita della Svizzera italina, Lugano, 2014.
- Keynote talk, Workshop on Accelerator Programming using Directives (WACCPD), New Orleans, 2014.
- Invited talk, JST/CREST International Symposium on Post Petascale System Software, Kobe, 2014.
- Contributed talk, Exascale Application and Software Conference, Edinburgh, 2015. (Best Presentation Award)
- Invited talk, 2nd International HPC Forum, Tianjin, 2015.
- Invited talk, ISC Workshop on Performance Modeling: Methods and Applications, Frankfurt, 2015.
- Keynote talk, 11th International Conference on Parallel Processing and Applications, Krakow, 2015.
- Invited talk, Barcelona Supercomputing Center, Barcelona, 2015.
- "Quantitatively Modeling Application Resilience with the Data
- Invited talk, "Automated Exploration of the HPC Codesign Space
with Aspen." 1st International Workshop on Strategic Development of
High Performance Computers, 2013, Tsukuba, http://www.open-supercomputer.org/workshop/iwsdhpc/iwsdhpc-1/
- Invited talk, "Automated Exploration of the HPC Co-design
Space." International HPC Forum, 2013. Changsha, Hunan province,
China. (Tianhe-2 was announced at this forum. See PDF report.)
Research Projects and Software
- Check our FT Group Research
Projects and Software
pages, listed on our group front page for specific software packages, such
as SHOC and mpiP.
Recent Professional Activities
SC Steering Committee
SC15, Technical Program Chair - Participate @ submissions
Program Deputy Chair
DOE ASCAC Workforce Subcommittee
SC12, Tech Papers
International Workshop on Characterizing Applications for Heterogeneous
ACM SIGPLAN Workshop on
Memory Systems Performance and Correctness (MSPC), General Chair
ACM Workshop on
Emerging Applications and Many-Core Architectures (EAMA), Organizing
ACM Workshop on General
Purpose Processing on Graphics Processing Units
SC 2010: The International
Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, and Storage,
IPDPS 2010, Vice chair for
MTAAP 2010, Co-chair
Technologies for Computing at the Exascale Workshop, Programming Models