Jeffrey S. Vetter
Jeffrey S. Vetter, Ph.D., is a Distinguished R&D Staff Member, and the founding group leader of the Future Technologies Group in the Computer Science and Mathematics Division of Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Vetter also holds a joint appointment at the Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department of the University of Tennessee-Knoxville. From 2005 through 2015, Vetter held a Joint position at Georgia Institute of Technology, where, from 2009 to 2015, he was the Principal Investigator of the NSF Track 2D Experimental Computing XSEDE Facility, named Keeneland, for large scale heterogeneous computing using graphics processors, and the Director of the NVIDIA CUDA Center of Excellence.
Vetter earned his Ph.D. in Computer Science from the Georgia Institute of Technology. He joined ORNL in 2003, after stints as a computer scientist and project leader at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, and postdoctoral researcher at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
The coherent thread through his research is developing rich architectures and software systems that solve important, real-world high-performance computing problems. He has been investigating the effectiveness of next-generation architectures, such as non-volatile memory systems, massively multithreaded processors, and heterogeneous processors such as graphics processors and field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs), for key applications. His recent books, entitled "Contemporary High Performance Computing: From Petascale toward Exascale (Vols. 1 and 2)," survey the international landscape of HPC
Vetter is a Fellow of the IEEE, and a Distinguished Scientist Member of the ACM. Vetter, as part of an interdisciplinary team from Georgia Tech, NYU, and ORNL, was awarded the Gordon Bell Prize in 2010.
Also, his work has won awards at major venues: Best Paper Awards at the International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS), EuroPar and the 2018 AsHES Workshop, Best Student Paper Finalist at SC14, Best Presentation at EASC 2015, and Best Paper Finalist at the IEEE HPEC Conference.
In 2015, Vetter served as the Technical Program Chair of SC15 (SC15 Breaks Exhibits and Attendance Records While in Austin).
Research Projects and Software
- Check our FT Group Research Projects and Software pages, listed on our group front page for specific software packages, such as SHOC and mpiP.
- Invited, "Preparing for Extreme Heterogeneity in HPC," Symposium on Materials Genome Initiative at Exascale, Spetses, Greece, 2018.
- invited, "Exploring Emerging Memory Technologies in Extreme Scale High Performance Computing ," Swiss National Supercomputing Center, Lugano, 2018.
- Keynote, "Exploring Emerging Memory Technologies in Extreme Scale High Performance Computing ," Exascale Application and Software Conference (EASC), Edinburgh, 2018.
- Contributed, "CLACC: OpenACC for LLVM," EuroLLVM, Bristol, 2018.
- Invited, "Exploring Emerging Memory Technologies in Extreme Scale High Performance Computing ," Queens University, Belfast, 2018.
- Panel, "Computing in the Post-Moore Era," SIAM PP18, Tokyo, 2018.
- Contributed, "Performance Engineering of Emerging Memory Systems ," SIAM PP18 MS41, Tokyo, 2018.
- Contributed, "Exploring Extreme Heterogeneity with Analytical Modeling," SIAM PP18 MS111, Tokyo, 2018.
- Invited, "Working toward performance portability for FPGAs in High Performance Computing," 3rd International Workshop on FPGA for HPC (IWFH), Tokyo, 2018.
- Panel, "Reconf500: Can we join the 500 club?," 3rd International Workshop on FPGA for HPC (IWFH), Tokyo, 2018.
- Invited, "DRAGON: Efficiently Increasing GPU Memory Capacity with NVM
," 5th DOE/MEXT Workshop, Tokyo, 2018.
- Panel, "Post Moore Supercomputing," SC17, Denver, 2017.
- Invited, "Exploring Emerging Memory Technologies in Extreme Scale High Performance Computing ," National Supercomputing Center in Guangzhou, Guangzhou, 2017.
- Invited, "Exploring Emerging Memory Technologies in Extreme Scale High Performance Computing ," ICM, Warsaw, 2017.
Recent Professional Activities
- PPOPP, Program Committee, 2019.
- Re-Emergence of Vector Architectures (REV-A), Program Committee, 2018.
- Third International Workshop on Post Moores Supercomputing, Co-chair, 2018.
- IEEE Computer Society Fellow Evaluation Committee, Program Committee, 2018.
- ASCR Workshop on Extreme Heterogeneity in High Performance Computing, Chair, 2018.
- PPOPP, Program Committee, 2018.
- HPC Asia 2018: International Conference on High Performance Computing in Asia Pacific Region, Steering Committee, 2018.
- SIAM Parallel Processing Conference, Organizing Committee, 2018.
- MCHPC2017: Workshop on Memory Centric Programming for HPC, Program Committee, 2017.
- 3rd Workshop on Heterogeneous High-performance Reconfigurable Computing , Program Committee, 2017.
- High Performance Extreme Computing Conference (HPEC), Program Committee, 2017.
- Re-Emergence of Vector Architectures (REV-A), Program Committee, 2017.
- Second International Workshop on Post Moores Supercomputing, Co-chair, 2017.
- SC17, Birds-of-a-Feather Chair, 2017.
- Dagstuhl Seminar 17431: Performance Portability in Extreme Scale Computing: Metrics, Challenges, Solutions, Co-organizer, 2017.
# # #